Ever since we’ve hitched the wagons back up, I’ve been getting requests to see the work we’ve done to the camper. First of all, it amazes people to know we bought the camper in 2015…almost 4 years ago. Heather had previously owned a VW camper van and a pop-top and we admittedly got this one on a total whim.
Now, if we had known then that we’d be living in it we’d have done things a bit differently. The camper needed A LOT of work to be live-able/functional and we’ve slowly had professionals work on it over the last 4 years.
What we started with…
Since we purchased our camper, I’ve realized how popular vintage trailers are. So if you’re interested, here’s a bit about our gal.
Our camper is a 1975 Serro Scotty Highlander. Scotties, as people call them, were made in PA from the 50s to the 90s, until the plant burned down. They have just started making them again, but because they were rare for a while, they got a cult following! Scotties are credited with beginning the camper craze of the 60s and 70s, and are made in the classic “canned ham” style.
Before the road trip was even a glimmer in our eyes, we had to have a few big things redone:
- Rebuild the roof and walls due to water damage
- Rewire the electric
- Replace the gas line (our stove and oven run on propane)
- Repaint the exterior, keeping it all “historically intact” by color matching to the original 1975 hues
What did you do to the interior?
We used the camper in its “original state” a few times a year, for weekends here and there and she worked fine! But, when this road trip came to be, we decided to spruce up the inside since we’d be spending so much time there.
Here’s a list of everything we did, and if you want to see a lot of this work in action, check out the 75′ Scotty Highlight on my instagram.
- Removed all cabinets and hardware
- Soaked all hardware in Coke to de-rust
- Puttied, sanded, primed, sanded and painted all cabinet doors
- Puttied, sanded, primed, sanded and painted all surfaces inside except the ceiling, floor and bathroom
- Cleaned all foam cushions using vinegar, essential oils and good ole’ fashioned sunlight
- Bleached and dyed the dinette cushions using a RIT formula I found online to get the colors I wanted
- Bleached and dyed the curtains ( I used a RIT formula that didn’t turn out how I wanted, but I can live with it)
- Painted all light switches and outlet covers copper
- Painted the fridge door with chalkboard paint
I was very intentional about what I wanted for the inside since it’s such a tiny space. Errrrbody knows white makes small spaces appear larger, so that was an obvious choice for the walls and cabinets. Also, white reflects light, making it appear brighter as well, which I felt was really important for days when we are stuck in our ~100 square foot home-on-wheels due to poor weather, etc.
Knowing I was going white on the walls, I started looking at 70s interior design and decided to go for the copper/red/orange vibe for the rest of the colors. Funnily enough, I have mixed things up since taking these photos and turned the dinette into our bed and the back bed into a couch, adding what feels like TONS of extra space. I’ll share photos of what that configuration looks like soon!
Let me know what you think!